Quick And Dirty Streaming Media Server for HTML5 - based browsers and applications... | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Technical » Web Development
David Orwig Admin
David Orwig Aug 23 '17
So, you want to share your audio or video with others... but YouTube keeps taking your videos down, and nobody allows your favorite bootleg of Led Zeppelin to post because of those pesky copyright issues.  You can't just upload it to a website... because... the web hosting services will hate your guts forevermore and likely take your whole site down.  Bummer, dude.  What's next?

Host your own content.  Yeah... it sounds outrageous... but it's simple, quick, easy... and it's almost (we said ALMOST) untouchable by "the man".

I use Abyss II.  BUT.. there's a standard, free edition that is easy to set up.  Go to their website. Download it.  Set it up.  It's not complex at all... just put it on whatever drive you have the most space (hint: don't choose the C drive... you WILL lag your computer to death if it's even a little bit older (read: 3 years or more running Win7 or below).

The media files go into a folder called HTDOCS... right off the main folder.  MP3, FLAC, MP4, MKV... all of these work. But.. there are some things that you need to remember....

1. Naming your media files:  Underscores are your best friends!!  Example:
"The Abyss.mp4" becomes "the_abyss.mp4" or "theabyss.mp4" 

Servers don't like white space.  Remember that... and you'll be fine.

2. Raw .wav files... or .avi files... forget it.  You'll be sorry when the file doesn't stream properly! Convert it or forget it.

By now you might be asking... "how do I post the movies to a website?". 

Okay... fair enough... here's how we're gonna handle this..

First...  find out what your static IP address is... you can do that by simply going to Google and typing "What is my IP".   You will need this for the following code:

<video width="640" height="360" src="http://00.000.00.00:999/NAME_OF_MOVIE.mp4" autobuffer controls> <div class="fallback"> <p>You must have an HTML5 capable browser.</p> </div> </video>

That's essentially your embed code... right there.  The 0's are your IP ADDRESS.  The 9's are the Port Number.  Make sure when you configure Abyss.. that you set a port number that doesn't conflict with anything else on your system.  Using Port 80 is not a good idea.  Also, make sure you add Abyss and the port number to your "whitelist" on any firewalls you may have on your system or router.            

Audio Embedding

The same exact principle applies. Except... the code will look like this:

<audio src="http://00.000.00.00:999/NAME_OF_AUDIO_FILE.mp3" autobuffer controls> <div class="fallback"> <p>You must have an HTML5 capable browser.</p> </div> </audio>

Using those codes will allow you to embed from the server.  They will also allow you to embed video from many (not all) file servers, and some cloud storage services (DropBox, iCloud, and the like) depending on permissions and other factors.  Just input the correct web path to the file within the code... and you're good to go.

Some of our Media Library files are hosted in this way... through Abyss on a private server with no domain name. Bare in mind that your members can also download the videos embedded with this code.

I am assuming you can understand exactly what I'm not saying to you all, right??

Please note... if you don't have a static IP address... there are several ways to work around that. We'll discuss this in a future post.  

Share:
This topic is sticky

VOTE!

Tune In Now

The Best Hits of Your Lifetime!